Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 f/6.8
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 21:32:53 -0400

For maximum versatility I bought my 400 Telyt in M mount. I use it with a
viso on my screw and M bodies and mount it on my R bodies with a 14167
adapter.

kw

>Hokay,
>
>Feedback from this group and from Leitz (I sent a fax as recommended here
>and got a phone call from Rockleigh!) suggests that the 400 f/6.8 is a
>better choice than the 2X plus 180 f/4 Elmar. Looking at the information I
>have about 400 f/6.8 I can see I have MANY options to sort through. Looks as
>if there were at least four different stocks made and several iterations of
>the lens with and without filter holder, with and without extension tube
>capacity, with and without third cam. Whew! If I want to simplify my
>choices, this definitely isn't the way to do it! So, for starters, I'd love
>some feedback about which of the options REALLY matter.
>
>1) Lightmetering. I have a pair of R-4S bodies so it makes sense (I think)
>to look for a 3-cam version, but what exactly is the difference? As far as I
>can tell, the third cam activates the meter but does not provide information
>about the diaphragm settings, so you have to stop down to get an accurate
>reading. I assume two cam and older you can't use the meter at all. Oct 31,
>'76 is the date of the shift to the third cam but I have no idea what the
>serial #'s were for that era. Is there a place I can check?
>
>2) There is an extension tube that allows for close up focusing (under 8
>feet). I think the early models were not designed for that. I don't know
>when that change-over occurred. I assume it was prior to October 31. 1976.
>
>3) Shoulder stock. There were four distinct models (five counting the
>proto-type). I don't know whether there were significant differences. The
>latest appeared in 1985, I believe.
>
>So far I have run across one lens for sale with a serial number of 2435492,
>but I have no idea when it was made. Is there a resource that will help me
>date the lens by the serial #?
>
>Thanks very much for the help.
>
>Some day soon I plan to complete this R-Leica update venture and start
>talking about the real "focus" of this group. I did own a "long" lens for my
>M-2 -- a 135 Elmarit f/2.8 with goggles but it was heavier by itself than my
>M-2 and four other lenses. Kinda defeated the purpose.
>
>--Gib

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>