Subject: [Leica] 400 f/6.8
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 21:04:00 -0400

Gib's original message:

<SNIP>

>1) Lightmetering. I have a pair of R-4S bodies so it makes sense (I thin=
k)
>to look for a 3-cam version, but what exactly is the difference? As far =
as
>can tell, the third cam activates the meter but does not provide
information
>about the diaphragm settings, so you have to stop down to get an accurat=
>reading. I assume two cam and older you can't use the meter at all. Oct
31,
>'76 is the date of the shift to the third cam but I have no idea what th=
>serial #'s were for that era. Is there a place I can check?

>2) There is an extension tube that allows for close up focusing (under 8=

>feet). I think the early models were not designed for that. I don't know=

>when that change-over occurred. I assume it was prior to October 31. 197=
6.

>3) Shoulder stock. There were four distinct models (five counting the
>proto-type). I don't know whether there were significant differences. Th=
>latest appeared in 1985, I believe.

Gib,

My 400 is #2841594 which I bought new in 1979.  It has the 3-cam mount
tube, the Series VII filter slot, the next-to-latest shoulder stock, and
can use the 60mm extension tube made for this lens.  Lenses made much
earlier also can use the extension tube and Series VII filters. (I don't
know how much earlier.)

The serial number may not be an accurate guide to whether the mount tube
has 2 or 3 cams, since the lens head can be swapped among any mount tube
(except for the earliest version).  Be sure the *mount tube* has the 3rd
cam.  Likewise the shoulder stock may not be the one that originally came=

with the lens.  The first version has no handgrip; the 2nd has a handgrip=

but fewer adjustments than later models.  Be sure you do get a shoulder
stock with the lens 'cuz sometimes the lens & stock get separated.

Without the 3rd cam your R4s bodies will not meter accurately.  With my
R4sP bodies the meter is off by 1-1/2 stops.  Don't mess with stopping th=
lens down - change shutter speeds to set correct exposure, or use one of
the automatic modes.

Hope this helps.

Doug Herr
Sacramento