Subject: [Leica] Content-Type: text/plain
From: "Hoyen ~simontart~" <simontart@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 00:01:56 PDT

A couple of things here--- the cutout on the new ASPH is angled in such
a way, and the front lens elements sits just deep enough, that strong
light sources overhead can cause flare in the way described.

The other thing is that I have personally never noticed any difference
in shots using a square or circular hood.  As the hood causes no
vignetting, and is the interior is lined with felt or some other
reflection-preventing material, it's good enough for me.  The problem I
have with the 35/1.4 ASPH hood, as stated, was the cutout in the corner
and the unacceptable (IMO) blockage of the viewfinder.

I do agree on the point about using a hood at all times, but I think
whether you are using one or not makes a heck of a bigger difference
than what shape it is.

My 0.02 cents!