Subject: [Leica] Lens shades
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:59:15 -0700

I'm a big (no... HUGE) believer in lens shades. It's not just the sun that
can cause flare, it's any bright light source. Reflection from a window,
large white building, all outside the picture area, but still a source of
bright light. Just a shimmering reflection from a pond off to the side, can
cause a level of flair. To me, a shade is a required piece of equipment.
Especially when using a filter as filters are not coated even remotely as
well as the front element f your Leica lens, and therefore are much more
susceptible to flair.

When looking at a photograph that was taken without a lens shade, one
cannot typically say "that photograph was taken without a lens shade,"
however, it all adds up. My philosophy is that if I'm going to spend the
big bucks for Leica equipment, presumably to get the very best optics
available in the world, I want everything these optics can possibly
produce. If I'm going to degrade it with a filter, I want that degradation
to be at the minimum possible level.

When figuring out how to make screw-in polarizers work on my M lenses, and
after trying Jeff Alfords swing-out filter, I tried his 46mm Heliopan
filter. My lens shade (35/1.4 ASPH) would not slide over the filter. I was
not happy. But in desperation, I ordered a Heliopan filter and was going to
either route out the lens shade or turn a little off of the filter. Well,
much to our amazement, the new Heliopan was slightly smaller and the shade
slips right over it without a trace of resistance. And the filter is very
easy to turn when inside the lens shade. Sometimes things just work out.

If I sound like I'm preaching, I'm not. Please take my ramblings as "this
is what I do, and why I do it." It is not meant as a dictation for anyone
to follow. Think of it as just some more information to factor into your
data base. If you should so desire.

Jim

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132