Subject: [Leica] scanners, etc.
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:17:02 -0400

I've spent the last few days mucking about with my newly delivered Nikon
LS-2000 scanner and Epson Photo Stylus 700.  I can only describe the
experience as a  kind of epiphany.  I'm a reasonably competent b&w darkroom
sort--studied it pretty seduously, done a fair amount of work with large
format (8x10) negs, learned the zone system at an early age.  For the past
20+ years I haven't had the access or the opportunity actually to oversee
the translation of negs into print, and I never learned how to deal with
color neg/pos.  Yet in the last weekend, I've produced what seems to me, at
least,some breathtaking images (nearly all of them old Leica SM--Summarit,
Summitar, Summicron) images, with a fidelity and dynamic range that simply
boggles this skeptical imagination.

Many of you already know this stuff, but there's something that borders on
the sublime in rendering images shot with a 50 year old camera/lens combo,
intermediated by an equally antique medium (silver on acetate) into a
digital image over which I, in my clumsy way, have almost complete control.

In a very odd sense, it's much like that first experience, aetat 16 or so,
of seeing the image emerge on a piece of paper in a chemical bath.

Oh brave new world . . .

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/