Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's future
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:31:04 EDT

I fully agree with Jim on this subject. if you want a "classic" lens, they are
freely available. Be grateful that you are a M-user though. You can still put
a 1924 Elmax or Anastigmat ( provided it was a version converted to
interchangeble screw mount by Leitz) on a brand new M6TTL and have it meter
with the camera, and even use the TTL flash with it. I have several versions
of 35's ,50's and 21's around. They all have a different ways of
interpretating light  and i use them for a variety of subjects. There have
been cases of "retro" design. The M4-2 was a case in point, the M-5 did not
win over the public, they reissued the M4-2 ( and in the process probably
saved the company!) and now I feel that they are again fiddling with the
formula. I did not like the M6TTL and this means I have to stock up some more
M6HM's and M6 "Classics" for future use Another case of a "retro" design is
the 50/2,8 Elmar(it) and this is also the best case for making a retro product
and incorporating all that you have learned. It is a phenomenal little lens,
very sharp, very contrasty and the aperture ring does not rotate when you
focus. The original 50/2,8 i always fornd a bit soft and I truly disliked the
rotating aperture ring (non parallell mount).
 If you want the older style lenses you can find them easily. I dont think
many of us would like to pay "New Leica Prices" for a 90 Elmarit from the
60's, when you can get the 90 Elmarit-M which is a much better lens. Yes I
like the old 8 element Summicron 35 from the late 50's and at $6-700 for a
clean example it is nice. For a "replica" made today, it would be most likely
close to $ 2000 and then i rather have the 35/2 Asph.
 Tom A