Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica day
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:18:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/98 12:03:37 PM EST, jim@brick.org writes:

> I suspect, that to remain competitive/solvent, Leica will have
>  to put ALL of their efforts into the "latest and greatest." But I do agree
>  that a Classic M6 and a classic Elmarit or Summicron is a wonderful
>  combination. But I just don't think the economics would allow continuing
>  old models. A car manufacturer cannot run a line for a previous (classic)
>  car.
                      Considering that the technological advances between
"classic" and "latest and greatest" in Leicadom are infinitessimal compared to
updates in other camera lines (Nikon F4 to F5, for example) I can't see where
lovers of the older stuff  have all that much to lament, from either a user or
an economic standpoint.  In addition, the manufacturer's own (aside from many
eminently-qualified independents) parts/repair support of discontinued models
is second to none in the industry.  Try getting Nikon to service anything more
than about 10 years out of production!  The analogy to BMW (and even more so,
Mercedes-Benz and Rolls/Bentley) is a good one.  Part of their marketing
success is based on longevity of model runs and continued manufacturer support
long after other marques' afficionados are forced to search junkyards (and in
a few lucky instances, aftermarket reproductions) to keep their "classics"
running.  Of course, there's always those exceptions: the "new-retro"
marketing ploys where they package new junk in old wrappers and appeal to
nostalgia alone...like plastic cameras with fake "chrome" finishes and the new
VW beetle.

Jay