Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 1998/09/26

[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]

Subject: [Leica] Lens accidents
From: Gary Elshaw <>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:35:43 +1200

Hi All,

Jay wrote:

"I had the entire front assembly of a 3rd-generation (E49) 28 Elmarit-M
(a borrowed one at that!) unscrew and dump the diaphragm blades all over the

Bitter irony Jay! Last night whilst attempting to remove the front element
of my Summar, I accidentally, like i'd do it on purpose (?), nudged the
rest of the lens, spilling the aperture leaves across my desk. After a
frustrating hour and a half of trying to sort the leaf positioning
correctly I gave up in abject shame. The really disheartening part came
when i realised i didn't have the right tools for the job to get the front
element apart for the cleaning, which is going to have to be done by a tech
somewhere anyway. I also had a discouraging episode with my 35 Summaron,
but we won't get into that. It's better now, but suffice to say Leica will
hopefully have the good sense to never offer me a job in their tech

Yours, in unmanly technical undexterity,

"He's dead Jim...
        ...I'll get his tricorder, you get his wallet."

Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University
New Zealand