Subject: [Leica] Older stuff; was IIIf
From: M3novie@webtv.net (Scott Green)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

My newest camera is an 80's vintage Canon AE-1p and it has p...... me
off for the last time, I fear.  Although I love the 100/2,8 I have for
it (the 50 is nice too; hate the 35), that the thing has now seized on
me for the third time means it will probably be fixed for the last time
and sold.  Sad.   OTOH, every time I threaten myself with buying a new
camera, I look at some of my images and ask WHY???  George, the
beautiful pix on your sight really back this up, don't they?

The annoying part about this talk of the IIIf is that now I find myself
wanting one again.  When I first handled a Leica, it was one of
these,and the feel was seductive.  At the time, though, I didn't want to
spring for the (now seen as reasonable) dough.  But now Jim Brick and
Tom Shea can attest to my love affair with the M3.  When I first snicked
that advance lever and fired the shutter.... well, that was it.  Even my
beloved Konica has sat idle ever since.  (And Jim!  I LOVE my
Tele-Elmarit!)  I picked up a collapsible Summicron for it and have been
snicking away constantly.  The only "problem" I see with this
same-vintage lens is that it likes to flare into the light.  Not
surprising.  And something I can live with easily.

Now if only I could find a legitimate reason to keep spending all this
$$ on what is essentially a hobby -- albeit a passionate one!  I don't
market myself as a "professional photographer" in any way, shape or
form.   I don't want the pressure :-)

So, yes, I use all my old cameras -- even the 1937 Kodak Duo 620.  Love
'em all!

Long live brass and chrome!
Scott