Subject: RE: [Leica] IIIf
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:11:41 -0400

  I use
> the IIIf and an M3 and my "newest" lens is a DR Summicron of late 60s
> vintage.  While I have no doubts that the newer lenses are much
> superior  in terms of contrast, detail and color rendition, I like the
> using the older equipment.
>
> Now, if collectors would just stop driving up prices  :)
>
> Steve

As some of us clamor for the latest lens with the latest tiny tweak of
resolution, flare supression, or bit of micro contrast, I think we tend to
forget that the "older equipment" is precisely what the "greats" used for
the bulk of their careers, and the images produced by that "older equipment"
grace the pages of every collection of "the greatest photographs of all
time," etc. etc.

The Leica Legend wasn't created with the M6 and ASPH lenses. It was created
with the Is, IIs, IIIs Fs and Gs - and the M-3, and it was created with the
elmars, DR summicrons, summarons, etc.

And (and I'm pulling on my asbestos suit as I write this) it really grew out
of the fact that the very existence of a small, quiet rangefinder camera
allowed photographers to go places they had never been, and photograph
things that had never before been photographed, rather than some mythical
qualities of the cameras or lenses.

At least that's how I see it...(;o{ )#x