Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autoflash reliability
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:30:13 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> My Metz manual states that I must "form" the capicitor ( a poor translation
> of something into English?) every few months

Dan,
This is common practice with studio strobes.  The Swedish Profoto
strobes have electronics built in that trickles energy to the capacitors
at the beginning of each turn on to slowly recondition them.  I do the
same manually with my Balcars, turning the reostat to minimun (5 stops
down) and leave on for a few minutes.  Then turn it up a stop and fire
and up another, and so on.  Doesn't tke long but improves longevity of
the units.

A couple years ago I stumbled onto a deal of lifetime:  an old 2400ws
Balcar pack with 5 "bullet" heads, one pencil light head, 5 big Manfroto
stands, 6 extension cords ($90/each today), grids, case and more for
$900.  But owner said pack didn't work anymore.  So I called repair shop
and was told $700 to replace capacitors.  So I offered $600 and bought
the pack.  I brought it back to studio and plugged it in.  Took about 3
minutes to cycle at all after about 30 minutes.  Anyway, I just left it
plugged in for about a week.  Now it recycles in about 12 seconds
(instead of 3-4 as should).  I've been using it regularly ever since.
Doesn't recycle very fast, but it is so powerful I don't use it except
for still life 4x5 or big interiors or like right now when I have 4
P-system heads in the shop getting repaired.

I own 10 cameras, numerous lenses and still I have more capital invested
in lighting and grip equipment than camera gear.  So you get to know
about keeping strobes alive.

donal

- --
Donal Philby