Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 700 photo
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:43:01 +0100

Alastair Firkin wrote:

>I've finally replaced my computer's printer with an Epson Photo700. Initial
>colour prints from it are really quite amazing, but I have some questions
>for you.

I'm still running on the original Epson Photo Stylus, and find the quality
excellent. But beware - these mothers _eat_ colour cartridges if you proof
at full A4 size. Bit like the old Gillette principle - sell the razor
cheap, and make a bomb on the blades.

>1. Resolution; what resolution is needed to print at the 1440 dpi setting?
>I've trialled images at 200 dpi in photoshop and the images print quite
>well, but are there any rules for this digital darkroom?

First rule is that there are no rules - it depends on the subject and the
quality you want.

The best practical guide I've discovered on the mysteries of resolution is
Wayne Fulton's "A Few Scanning Tips", available from:

http://www.scantips.com

The guts of it are available as web pages, but he also publishes it in
extended book form at a very reasonable price. To save ink, get the book -
there's a secure ordering form on the site.

>2. Longevity; how long do the prints last, and are there any tricks to
>resist fading?

Too early to tell - mine are fine after a year in daylight, but would
probably last longer if kept in the dark.

>Finally, do you have any other tricks to minimize wastage of ink paper etc.
>For example, do you do test prints prior to a full A4 sheet?

You could try printing a small, critical area at your intended output
resolution. If that's OK, the full-size print should be OK. Use exactly the
same paper in a smaller size, though, as colours vary immensely according
the quality of the stock. For really knock-out results which do full
justice to your Leica lenses, don't use paper at all - use white plastic
film which doesn't suffer from any ink spread whatsoever. Expensive, but
worth it.

Happy printing!

Slan

Alex