Subject: Re: [Leica] available light
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:41:38 -0500

Steven L. Alexander wrote

>>>but simply use whatever was available.
>>
>The answer to this is something I was told over 30 years ago; Use whatever
>is avaible; flash blubs(electronic) posterboard, sheets "tin" foil even
>sunlight.

Ah, Steven, this reminds me of a funny story from my news days about 8
years ago.

I was covering a big deal press conference where one international
corporation CEO was talking about a merger with another international
corporation.  They were doing some kind of slide show thing and the light
was terrible and they were saying we could shoot only avaliable light.
The AP guy shows up and sticks the SB24 on his F4 and starts banging away
saying the flash is here in my pocket and I know how to use it, therefore
it is avaliable light. Or something like that.

Of course almost everybody else did the same, I went to the opposite side
of the room and shot with a 180 with the guy lit with a spot light and
the video image of him that was 10 feet x 10 feet over his left shoulder,
one he** of an image and much better than his flashed shots were.
Sometimes (most of the time) it is better to break away from the pack and
get something differrent.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto