Subject: Re: [Leica] Summitar
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:24:32 -0600

Well, I'm using a Summitar today!  It is the sharper of my two Lietz
lenses.  I've got the barndoor hood on it, and it handles nicely.  Now and
then, I wish it closed down further than f 12.5, but I use it mostly from
f2 to f8.  I've been using it as a general purpose 5cm lens.  The lens
seems sharp enough to me.  It is a little less contrasty than my Nikkor 5cm
f2 screwmount lens.  The Nikkor has a bit more snap at first look.
However, the Summitar appears to have a more realistic, smoother gradation
of tones.  For example, the texture of clothes and of wood seems to have
more detail and looks better with the Summitar than it does with the
Nikkor.  The character of the pictures with the screwmount Nikkor look
pretty similar to those form my SLR Nikkor 50mm f2.
   So, I use the Summitar a lot.  Where have you found yours to shine?
- -Mark Walberg