Subject: Re: [Leica] Photokina news 2
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:36:51 -0500

>The Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70 f/2,8 ASPH (wish Leica should invent shorter
names) weighs 1050 grams and uses E77 filters. Lenght from bayonet is 88m=
and lens cap diameter 133mm.

Reply : according to CI n=B0 207, p. 17 the length is 133 mm and the diam=
eter
is 88 mm.You have inverted the data.

Yow! That's the size of Nikon's current 80-200 f/2.8 lens (though about 20%
lighter), a lens I got rid of because it was bigger and heavier than I
cared to carry. But this is a 35-70, a normal lens. I don't doubt for a
moment that it will be optically superb. I wonder, though, if its size
limits its usefulness as a normal lens. I don't expect it will bother
photojournalists or nature photographers also carrying the 70-180 R -- and
perhaps it's aimed primarily at those kinds of groups. But it's not exactly
what I'd want dangling from my neck while vacationing at Disneyland.

Larry