Subject: [Leica] Summilux 80mm f1,4 - was: Optical Reference Standards
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:16:43 +0200

LP6@aol.com wrote:

> Re:  Optical Reference Standards:
>
> Interesting:
>
> But, Lucien's list fails to include R 80/1.4....one of my favorites!

Leon,

I use that lens and I love it, but I think the question was
about "the sharper lenses" and not the lens I prefer.
The 100/2,8 is  better at f2,8 and smaller f stops,
and the result with Apo extender 2X are much better.
But it's also true that I use much more the 80/1,4 now ,
because I prefer the results. (IMO it's not sharp in the same way)
:-)
It was not the case few years ago.
Maybe my taste changed.

I had that lens (second hand) 10 years ago with a R5 and was never confortable
with it,
specially without the winder, and maybe the results were affected.
It was to big for the camera IMO (and the focusing ring was really stiff).
I sold it and was ner sorry I did. (I replaced it with a 90/2,8
and then with the APO 100 (both second hand also), the later that I still own
and cherish)
Then I tried again a 80mm on a R8: the handling and ease of use were totally different.
(thanks to the camera/lens weight and size ratios, 1/8000, fill in etc..)
And maybe because of that, I liked very much the tests I made.
Then I decided to save in order to buy a new one and,
after a new period of frustration because I was using it only at f1,4 ,
I'm now so pleased with the results and the handling
(with or without winder) that, when I bring only one lens with the R8,
it's more often the Summilux than the Apo.
I almost always use it between f2 and f4, thanks to the 1/8000s.
I seldom use the flash with it, except for fill-in.

But, anyway, it's still true that if you want the best quality (sharp) for
landscape or close up,
the Apo 100/2,8 is the King.

My point here is that the ultimum sharpness is not all, but it was not the question.
:-)

N.B. I'm not sure that I will be so happy with an APO Summilux 80/1,4 !

Lucien