Subject: Re: [Leica] Optical Reference Standards
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:24:46 -0500

At 12:36 AM 9/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Note:
>
>Have no xperience with Zeiss 85mm, F1.4; but, am very happy with the results
>of my R 80mm, F1.4... and feel strongly it should be on Lucien's list
>generating this
>thread over the weekend of  9/12-9/13/98!

I have used the Zeiss lens, and have seen many pictures taken with the 80.
I'd say the 80 gets the edge for "character" and color rendition. I think
the Zeiss lens is a tad bit too cold in it's color rendition. Sharpness,
the Zeiss is so close as to be inconsequential in that difference alone.
That being said, the 80 is a very special lens. I would like one, but since
I have the 75 Summilux, which is very similar, I'll probably go with a 90
Summicron R APO ASPH when it comes out.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the
photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him (and her) to keep
on looking.

- -Brooks Atkinson, 1951