Subject: RE: [Leica] Newbie
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:45:26 -0400

> Hold on there, B. D.!
>
> Don't scare off any newbies!  We need all we can get!
>
> The Summicron 35/1.4 ASPH is quite a bit larger and heavier than the
> non-Aspherical 35/1.4 it replaced, but at 275g or so compared to 895g
> for an M6 body, it's still a far cry from "just about as heavy as the
> body."  There are times it may seem that way, of course, but at those
> times I just remind myself that reality rules......
>
> Regards,
>
> PB

Paul - I found my instruction manual - the M6 weighs in at 560 grams - and
the lens is around 450, right?....damn close. I'm not trying to scare anyone
off...I love the 6 with the 35 ASPH...I had a great time with it yesterday
at the Boston Folk Festival - should have heard Tom Paxton sing about Linda
Tripp, the Friend From Hell!. Anyway, it's a great lens...but by Leica M
standards - and I know there are exceptions - it's a pig in terms of size.
Compare it to the Pre-Asph 35 Summicron and Summilux, the 50 summicrons, the
90 elmars and elmarits...the older 21s....