Subject: Re: [Leica] (Off Topic) APERTURE
From: JOHN COZ <johncoz@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 22:43:54 -0400

Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

> I subscribed for a couple of years.  It's a bit pricey and is not published
> very frequently.  It occasionally contains interesting photo essays or
> articles with photos, but I found that it had more avant garde stuff to
> which I could not relate and stopped subscribing to it.  However I recently
> started looking through some of my older ones and found some gems, including
> an interesting issue devoted to a German photographer named (I believe)
> Renger-Patsch who worked during the pre-war years and just after.  I have
> recently thought about re-subscribing.  I'm tempted to say that the
> occasional great issue made it worth getting all the poor ones.
>
> Bruce S.

Bruce - I feel that your critique is entirely accurate.  I would like to
add that the quality of the reproductions in the magazine is truly
excellent.

I too am a wistful ex-subscriber.  The good stuff was fabulous but the
negative/depressing/political stuff was cloying.  For a refreshing
alternative, you may want to look at ZOOM, DoubleTake or Blind Spot.
Contact Sheet is also superb.

For pure photographic pleasure, look no further than the auction
catalogues published by Christie's and Sotheby's.  I buy them for about
ten dollars at flea markets.  They offer exposure to an astoundingly
broad spectrum of  photographers from every discipline and period.

But I have saved the best for last: Shots. This magazine is the real
deal.  Photography for the sake of photography: some raw, some polished,
some awful and, not infrequently, some that will haunt you for all time.
Buy the back isssues.  http://www.afterimagegallery.com/shots.htm