Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica entry
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 20:29:34 -0600

Alistair, this is very good advice.  And, it is refreshing to see even a
little bit if discussion of the old lenses.  My only Leica lenses are a
Summar and a Summitar.  Each has its own personality, as does my old Nikkor
50mm f2 screwmount lens.  A newcomer to photography would laugh at my
collection of so many different 50mm f2 lenses, asking why I need so many
of the "same lens".  Well, I have really been amazed to see (and I'm still
learning) the remarkable differences in the images these lenses make.  It
is truly fun to learn where each of these lenses really show their stuff
best.  My lowly Summar (with a little haze toward the back) makes some very
nice portraits for example.  I almost sold iot once because of the haze,
but I realized that I can't get pictures like that with any other lens.
(and, yes. I too would dearly love to have one of those newfangled Leica
lenses - a Noctilux in particular).
    I wish there was more discussion of this kind here.  I wish people
would talk more about what lenses (old and new) work best in which
situations.  THe only lens I see much talk about in this regard is the
great discussions and picture postings of the Noctilux.  Lets talk about
the others, too.
Thanks Alistair,
Mark Walberg

Alastair Firkin wrote.... (some snipped)