Subject: [Leica] Re: Cleaning salt water spray off lens / Was To POOF or not to POOF your camera
From: "Ron K. Miller" <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:02:56 -0700

Hi Dan!
Thanks a bunch for advice on cleaning off salt water from lens! BTW
where's a good catalog or mail order place to buy the PEC-12 film
emulsion cleaner??

To keep this Leica related, I hear the new swing-out Leica polarizer
with an adjustable adapter for different lens diameter costs $325-$390
(a few weeks backordered at one L.A. store). One dealer says you really
need the swing-out feature otherwise it's very cumbersome to deal with
the unscrewing and screwing on the filter and keeping track of the
positioning of the filter.  I know I dont want to spend that much on
this. I mean for the price of two filters, I could maybe buy a used M3
or M-lens!!  I've seen Jim Brick's posting on buying 2 regular filters
and placing one on the lens and the other spare to look through. To make
things easier, how would you facilitate noting the orientation on the
look-thru and making sure the orientation of the screwed-on filter is
the same (without having to unscrew it and looking through that one
too)?  To paraphrase one Leica dealer, he asked if i really want to be
fussing with all this before a shot.

I would sooner forgo shooting under hazy conditions than spend $330.
Would like a used older version (new costs $250), but was told it is
unlikely to find one since the version prior to the current filter with
adjustable adapter was not in production for 10 years and is hard to
find.  If you know of the older version (clip on, swing-out) for an E39
size, let me know!!

STARR: Instead of downloading, I've accessed KCRW's (public radio) web
site to scroll through the Starr Report.  It's www.kcrw.org -- look
under "white house". May stay tied to the PC all day to finish this!
Meanwhile i also have the radio tuned in for side commentary.

Cheers too!
Bee Lian