Subject: Re: [Leica] 24 M Lense
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 15:12:55 EDT

jbg, Did you run around in your underwear? Even at that it sounds like a great
way of spending your time.
 I have the 24/2,8 Asph and have been using it since early last year. It
doesn't get as much use as my 21/2,8 Asph, mainly because the finder is bad
and once i manage to break or loose it I will probably use the lens more!! It
does work on a M6 or M4P  using the entire viewfinder in the camera. It is not
100% precise, but then the M-cameras are not designed for "absolute" framing.
It is a big lens, shares the lenshood of the 21/2,8 and the same filtersize
too. Optically it is extremely good. sharp across the board, nice contrast and
good flare control. The 21/2,8 Asph is marginally better in my estimation (
the 21 Asph is probably the best 21 ever made for a M camera!). My main
problem with the 24 is that it feels like a 21 and i have to remember that it
has a slightly less acceptance angle than the 21. This is not a flaw of the
lens, it is me being a long term user of 21's.
 You would not be sorry if you got the 24, loose the finder though or even get
the lens without the finder and get used to framing with the camera
viewfinder.
Tom A