Subject: Re: [Leica] Invert or rotate
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 13:52:09 -0300

Ben:

It has been about ten years since I used a Patterson tank, but from memory,
I think the instructions were to use the rotating method for the first
thirty seconds and to tap the tank to dislodge air bubbles when you first
put in the developer.  The rest of the inversions were to be done
regularily but not too agressively or you would get surge marks.  Surge
marke are darker areas around the sprocket holes where the developer surges
through when the tanks is agressively inverted and thus develops that area
more.

In practice, I would tap and rotate the reel for the first thrity seconds
of each chemical and then invert followed by a few twists of the reel,
using the ten seconds of aggitation each minute method.

If in doubt, read the directions that came with the tank.

Regards,

Robert Stevens