Subject: Re: [Leica] b&w, color of the soul (was: Old colour film stock and back to pictures.)
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:38:15 -0300

At 04:16 PM 9/4/98 +0200, Alan
Brussels-Belgium wrote:

I would therefore partly agree with Paul but I'd tweak his statement by
>saying "it is easier to make what looks like a great picture in b&w". I
>think really great pictures are independent of bit depth requirements,
>they are "great pictures" because they are felt as "great" in the format
>the photographers delivered them. Some do that with colours and some do
>it without colours....
>
>Friendly regards
>Alan
>Brussels-Belgium.

Alan:

I must say B&W is not easier to make a good picture than Colour.    In B&W
your impact relies a lot on composition and thus teaches good composition.
In colour, the impack can just be the colour.  For example, I have seen
many pictures of hot air balloons that rely just on the colour of the
subject, but have poor composition.  These pictures are still acceptable
pictures.  Try taking a picture of a Hot air baloon in B&W without good
composition and it will be a failure, or at least boring.  It will be hard
to get a B&W picture that is acceptable unless you use good composition.

Regards,

Robert Stevens