Subject: Re: [Leica] Linhof - out of business?(off topic -4x5 Leica?!)
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:37:22 EDT

Tim,

When I visited the Linhof factory back in July I was told that the family that
has owned Linhof for the past several decades has put the company up for sale,
and that a buyer was found early this summer.  Final terms were being
negotiated at the time of my visit.  The plans were to scale back production
and discontinue items which were not profitable.  Monorail cameras such as the
Kardan series and tripods would be discontinued.  Tripod heads, Technika
cameras, Technikardan, Technorama, and the new M-679 would continue in
production.  The firm will stay in the current huge factory buildings (much
larger than needed and on very expensive real estate in Munich) for another
2-3 years while a new, smaller, and more modern production facility is built,
still in the Munich area.  That was the word as of early July.  Have not heard
anything since.

Mike Swiek