Subject: Re: [Leica] Was life after..Swiss management?
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 12:39:35 +0200

>From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
>Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:52:58 PDT
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Was life after..Swiss management?

Dominique wrote:

with a new swiss director appointed by the swiss holding in order to make
sweeping changes.>>>>

>Dominique,

I guess a dumb question would be:  What does this say about the quality o=
things organized and run by the Swiss?

It does seem over the past two years we have seen a number of complaints =
on
the quality control, not that it's a major factor, it has nonetheless bee=
a thorny subject at times. So does the "Swiss driven management"=20
equate to the "WHAT APPEARS TO BE NOT THE QUALITY CONTROL OF THE OLD DAYS=
" ?

A passing question as I try to cope with the heat, humidity and damn cold
air conditioning of the Main Press Centre in KL. :)

>ted

Reply : Ted, I quite agree with you on the QC in the recent years. In 199=
2
I bought a new elmarit M-90 which was unable to focus till infinity ! The=
replaced it a few days later.
Nevertheless the swiss director, Bruno Frey, did a good job but in 1991 h=
disagreed with the swiss holding on the future of Leica.He wanted to be
independent from Wild by a leveraged buy out. Wild refused and prefered t=
keep the control. A new Chairman of the Board, a german one, Klaus-Dieter
Hofmann, was appointed in order to transform Leica into a public company.=
He
"resigned"  some months ago.
Personally I am inclined to admire the swiss-german staff till to-day.The=
would have said : we give up !
Instead of falling in the easiness (see Ang=E9nieux in France who, after
bankrupcy, abandoned the consumer goods), they chose to fight, like
Siegfried, against the japanese dragoon with ups and downs.Hats off !

Dominique