Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #275
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:04:11 -0000

the Leitz family business, Eric Welch wrote:

>Solms is not a company, it's a city. Leitz was sold a while back
before the factory moved to Solms. Ownership has traded several times
since. It's still Leica.

I realised that, Eric. When I wrote the word "Solms" I was too lazy to
go downstairs and look up books to determine exactly what the bit of
the Wild company which set up the Solms plant called itself.

I now have, so will re-ask my question -

When Wild Heerbrugg AG completed its purchase of Ernst Leitz Wetzlar
GmbH, was that the end of the original family-owned company or did
they have other business or manufacturing activities based at the
Wetzlar plant? What happened to the old works at Wetzlar? In the
winter of 1987/88 did most of its staff move to the new Leica GmbH
plant at Solms? What happened to the staff who'd worked on the
microscopes?

Reading the account given on pages 1-3 of Laney's "Leica Collectors
Guide", it would seem that Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH was broken up and
its parts fitted into various parts of the Wild Leitz Holding AG
organisation. According to Laney, the photographic division (Leitz
Fotobereich) became the independent "Leica GmbH".

Regards,

Doug Richardson