Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Technique
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 13:39:54 EDT

Doug wrote:

"I suspect at shutter speeds of 1/60 or faster (without rigorous testing)
 that my big lenses (400 and 560 f/6.8) are equally sharp with the shoulder
 stock as with a tripod because on a tripod the camera body with it's
 flopping mirror is at the end of a long unsupported lever arm while with
 the shoulder stock the body's vibration is damped simply because it's being
 pressed against my face."
- --------------------------------
Doug:

I am always looking to improve my handheld technique.  Often, I will sit at my
desk with the M6 (without film) and squeeze of shots at 1/8th to 1/30th,
seeing how steady I can hold the camera right through and up to a couple of
seconds after the shutter has fired.  In music, practicing scales every day
does wonders for your playing, likewise, handheld practice and shutter release
is hopefully improving the technical quality of my pics.  Hard to be objective
on this one!!  But you know how these Leicas are...out of a roll of film,
there are always one or two pics that snap into another realm entirely!!
Upping those percentages is key!!

Cheers,
Arturo