Subject: Re: COPY: Re: [Leica] First week of shooting with my new R7 - HELP!
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@home.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 07:32:59 -0700

There IS in fact, something sharp on ALMOST every slide, and
it is usually a part of the model's body just inches out of the plane
of focus I desired.  Maybe my diopter is out of alignment.  I followed
the directions to set it to my eyes (put on 100mm lens, focus near,
look at infinity against a bright surface, turn diopter wheel until the
center ring is crispest and black diamonds show up most defined).
I also notice that the shots at 5.6 were much nicer than my shots at
2.8.  Does this imply my focusing or handling techniques are poor?
Since I am not on a tripod, I hold the R7 with my right hand, and
hold the lens with my left.  I focus first, set the metering, then
fine focus if necessary, then move my hand off the focusing ring down
to the base of the lens for support, then fire.  I think I notice a bit of
movement when I move my hands after focusing, and this may be
where (at 2.8) I lose my plane of focus.  I will have to try some tripod
shots and see if this takes care of the problems.  If I am forced to use
a tripod to get the best results from the R7/100 combo, I will be inclined
to use my M6 much more!  In fact, I got better results shooting models
with the 90/2.8 on the M6.......very sharp, perfectly focused images.....
all handheld!

Since I do not intend to drag a tripod, even my carbon fiber Gitzo, all over
Paris and Provence, I think I will be taking my M6 to France.  With Velvia
for the day, and E200 (nicely pushable to 800 or even 1000) and TMax for
the night, I think it will be a wonderful experience!

Francesco