Subject: [Leica] First week of shooting with my new R7 - HELP!
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:57:33 -0700

Since I got my new R7, this week I experimented shooting models
with it and the 100/2.8 only.  I left my incident meter at the office, and
tried all my favorite 100 speed films (Astia, E100S, Sensia II).

(NOTE:  BTW, I found that Astia is the most accurate in reproducing
color, while E100S tints a warm, yellowish color, and Sensia II tints
magenta.)

For metering, I consistently spot metered off the model's face in M mode
and either made her face Zone 5 (regardless of the ambient light), or
increased exposure by 1/2 to 1 stop.  I tried to keep shutter speeds over
1/250, but sometimes had to drop as low as f/2.8 @ 1/60 or so.  In good light
I was shooting at f/2.8 at 1/1000.  I rated all my 100 speed films at 80,
which I always do (better for scanning, and clears minor skin blemishes).
I tried to focus as accurately as possible with the R7's bright screen.
In the end, 80% of the slides looked great sitting on the lightbox, but upon
examination with a loupe, I found unsharp faces when I swear I focused
correctly and accurately on the model's eyes or brow.

Any ideas as to why I got generally poor results?  I mean, under a 4x loupe,
almost every shot looked as though I had moved or not focused properly.
I have gotten VERY sharp photos from my M6 using the same film and the
same techniques.   Could my R7 diopter setting be off?  Could mirror slap
be the culprit?  Could it be slight bodily movement from caffeine and
alcohol,
meaning I need a tripod? (NOTE:  I have done handheld model shoots with
the M6, at sunset, at 1/60 or 1/125 and have gotten SUPER-sharp results.
Maybe it's just the narrow DOF of the 100/2.8 wide open at 1-2.5 meters?
Could the underrating of the film be contributing to the greater than normal
prominance of grain?

When you shoot a portrait with the R7 without an incident meter, do you guys
meter from the face too, or is this a bad idea?  Usually, if the model has
fair skin,
I'll meter from the face (in whatever light she is in) and open up 1/2 to 1
stop.
If she is black, or has dark skin, I stop down 1/2 to 1 stop.  Is this a
good rule of
thumb for spot metering from a face?

Francesco