Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel photography
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:19:24 +0200

Francesco,
Choice of equipment depends on what you are planning to photograph, but I
can tell you what gear I bring for travel, vacation and causal photography:
I bring a bag (Billingham Alice or Domke F6) with two M:s and 4 lenses
(21-35-50-90) plus meter. This is what I carry on days when I know I am
going to do lots of photography.
However, in my suitcase, I bring a smaller photo bag, as a reserve. I use
this bag for street photography, as I like to walk around in foreign places,
taking photos of people I meet. This is a very small bag, that takes only
the two bodies with 2 lenses (usually 35 plus 50 mm). The weight is less
than my wife's handbag, and carrying it is no trouble at all. The 21 and 90
mm lenses are left at the hotel, but I seldom miss them for this type of
photography.

I would never bring a SLR on a vacation trip, with lots of carrying and
walking around. I have sometimes used a SLR with short zoom (28-70 or
35-70), but the weight is simply too much in the long run, and I prefer the
flexibility of two M-bodies and faster prime lenses.

Sometimes I will go by car on European trips (I live in Sweden), and this is
the only time that I will bring my SLR:s. Their place is in the car trunk,
or in the hotel room, and I usually bring 24-35-55-85-180mm lenses, short
zoom, flash and tripod. To leave gear in the car trunk is of course a risk,
but I have never been robbed, and gear can be insured. But I never leave
gear in the car trunk during the night, of course.
It is nice to have a SLR when travelling by car on the countryside, and
teles and macro lenses get extensive use. But I never feel that I need this
gear in the cities.

What would I bring to France, in your clothes? I guess I would bring the M6
with 35 and 50 mm, eventually completed with a 21, 24 or 90 mm lens,
depending on the type of photography you are planning. A used 90 mm can be
picked up relatively cheap on the used market, and would be nice for your
HM. If you trade it for the new Summicron 90 later on, you will not loose to
 much money, maybe you could make a deal with your photo shop too, if you
sign up for the new lens now.
The alternative is to complete your R-gear, but this will be more expensive.
I guess you will do it sooner or later anyway. But I think that the M-system
is the ultimate gear for travel (and carrying).

Two weeks in France sounds wonderful!
Hans

Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5799/