Subject: Re: [Leica] Parallax concerns
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 06:35:41 +0200

George,

That is how I tested mine (with measuring tape and markers at 1 meter, 2 m
etc.). This revealed a slight misalignment at close distances, while it was
more or less OK at infinity. My M6 is now at Solms being readjusted. What
prompted me to do the testing in the first place was unsatisfactory sharpness
in some portraits shot with the 75mm Summilux wide open. I was fairly sure that
I had properly focused on the eyes, the shutter speed was fast enough to avoid
blur due to camera shake etc., but nonetheless the pictures did not have the
sharpness I know is achievable with this lens. When you working with depths of
field around 1 cm, any rangefinder misalignment will show up!

Nathan

George Huczek wrote:

> I have not tested the rangefinder for accuracy.  Over the past year it has
> been performing well, and focusing has been good.  The image in question
> was in focus, but shifted slightly out of position.  Very puzzling.  (I did
> take several pictures, some at farther distances, so at least I have
> something else that I can use to make an acceptable print.)
>    What would be a simple way of testing the rangefinder for accuracy?
> Some LUG members have said that they lay out a measuring tape and focus on
> certain points, taking a number of pictures and testing them that way at
> different distances.  Would this be the way to go?
>
> -GH

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium