Subject: Re: COPY: Re: [Leica] Leica lens still superior???
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 17:31:16 -0500

At 12:29 PM 8/23/98 -0500, you wrote:

>My dealer (Eric, you know him: Harry at IPAS) says he considers the 180 the
>optically most-improved Nikkor going from MF to AF versions. And I've

The one-armed bandit? :-)

Yep, Harry is a character. He showed me his results with a 35 Summilux
aspherical (first version) one time. First whetted my appetite for the lens.

Harry is right about the Nikkor 180. I had the first 180 AF when I
graduated from school. It was a darn good lens, especially when the rubber
grip Nikon sent me was installed.

But, it's still not as good as the Leica 180s in terms of overall image.
But in terms of sharpness, it's as good as anything I've seen (until the
APO zoom). That lens, (Leica 180 Elmarit) especially close in, had a real
wonderful quality. But the new 180 has got to be a killer. If I didn't have
the zoom, I'd be going for that lens.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The world's full of apathy, and I don't care.