Subject: Re: [Leica]- Can I get away with it?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 01:01:03 -0400

Well, Roy-
I didn't use a Sharpie on a Summitar- there was a spot of corrosion, about
3-4mm in diameter, on the brass that had taken off the paint next to the 'S'
in the word Summitar engraved on the periphery of the lens- I carefully
cleaned the corrosion off with a fiberglass pen I got at a jewelers' supply
store- until it was bright, then feathered in some of the matte black
enamel. I did that since I didn't want the corrosion, and once it was gone,
I didn't want a shiny bright spot next to the lens element! The camera I am
more circumspect in diddling with its finish. I
On the M3, the paint has come off the black chrome on the back, for the most
part, and a thin coat of black would certainly make it look better, but
would the black chrome protect the metal just as well? Will I be subject to
adamantine chains and penal fire, who so dares to put paint to a Leica? Will
I be cast into the inner ring of Camera Hell, to listen to the noisy
shutters of Nikons, Canons and Pentaxs for all eternity?
Tell me, please!
Humbly,
Dan
dwpost@msn.com