Subject: [Leica] If the M6HM has gone, good riddance
From: reviews_ed.hifichoice@dennis.co.uk (Alan Sircom)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:03:53 +0000

I'm sure that if the M6HM has bitten the dust so soon after its launch,
the collectors will be pleased that it will fall into the 'rare Leica'
status. However, I can't help but be pleased at its passing, as I am
not convinced it offers that much for the user.

That 0.85x is bigger than the standard M6 model, but it is no less
cluttered and that 35mm frame is just too large on the finder. I use my
35 a lot, and do not wear glasses, but when I tried the HM, I found it
to be so large that your eye spends too long scanning the edges of the
finder, making grab shots more of a hassle. That said, I think the M6J
was one of the finest (if unaffordable) models Leica has ever produced,
so I could get used to that larger 35mm brightframe.

On a wholly unrelated topic, congratulations are due to Leica. The new
Minilux Zoom has won Compact Camera of the Year '98-'99, awarded by the
European Imaging and Sound Association, despite costing several times
the cost of the average 35mm compact camera.