Subject: [Leica] LUG appreciation (long)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:37:09 +0200

I know this is a bit of a delayed reaction, but the recent thread re
"the changing LUG" sparked by Erwin's public departure from LUG really
had me thinking. I have been a member of this list since late April.
Since then, I have bought an M6 and M3, plus 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm and
135mm lenses, as well as a Pradovit projector and various accessories.
So the LUG has definitely been an expensive acquaintance.

When I joined, I introduced myself and asked some questions, all of
which were promptly answered by some of the old hands. Since then, I
have had the pleasure of meeting 3 LUGgers in person; one of them,
Lucien, has been incredibly kind to me in letting me borrow equipment to
try and giving advice about the Leica infrastructure here in Belgium. I
have received a lot of great advice, and I am slowly beginning to give
some to later arrivals. Right now, I am in the process of replacing my
Ricoh GR1 and as usual, several list members have given great advice.

I have also made the acquaintance (by e-mail) of Ted Grant and bought
his wonderful book. I have looked at numerous web sites and admired and
been inspired by the work of other LUGgers. And I have received many
comments about my own web site.

All this for the modest cost of a few local phone calls to my ISP! Where
else can one get so much for so little?

To you veterans who sometimes get impatient with the newbies, I say
this: once you too were new to all this and I bet there were people who
helped you along (albeit using other media). Be patient and please
continue to educate the rest of us. You too have a self-interest in
nurturing and preserving people's interest in all things Leica--without
continuing renewal and a steady flow of new addicts Leica would go out
of business! So please stick around. I do not know if Erwin's recent
posting on the 1.4/50mm R lens is an indication that he has reconsidered
his decision to leave us, but I certainly hope so.

In summary: thanks to all of you, young and old. I look forward to the
continuing knowledge exchange, even if it puts a strain on my bank
account.

Nathan