Subject: Re: [Leica] Places to shoot on Carmel/Monterey/Sonoma trip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:25:11 -0700

As you head north on hiway 1, the Hurst estate is a major attraction,
however they don't allow photography (unless they have recently changed.)
The coast line itself is the grandeur. Rugged cliffs, beaches, rocks,
streams, forests, etc. Big Sur is a great place but the coast just before
and just after Big Sur is the best. The Napenthe is a famous restaurant at
Big Sur, owned partly by Kim Novak (or used to be) but is not exactly
photogenic. After Big Sur, stop at a turnout at Hurricane point (if the
road is fixed) and look back toward Point Sur (the island/rock with a
lighthouse on it.) They give tours and they are listed at (including
pictures)  http://sapphire.cse.ucsc.edu/reinas/instrument-tour/pt-sur.html
After Hurricane Pt., there is the famous Bixby Bridge. Either a very wide
angle lens from alongside the bridge, or a very long telephoto from along
the coast before the bridge. After Bixby, take the road down to Rocky Point
Inn (restaurant) and walk out from their parking lot for great views of the
coast line. After that, there is Garrapata beach (great rocks and ocean
views) and then Garrapata State park (on the right) which has some great
old buildings and (maybe this late) wildflowers. After Garrapata is Pt.
Lobos. A photographers paradise. Check out the rocks along Weston Beach.
Followed by Carmel, 17-mile Drive, Pacific Grove, and Monterey. You could
spend years photographing this place. I have. My wife and I publish a
scenic cookbook and a scenic address book of Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific
Grove (and surrounding area). If interested, you can find them in the
bookstores (Thunderbird, Books Inc., Bookworks, or Bay Books). Or at the
Phoenix in Big Sur. My Leica photographs and my wife's recipes. The address
book has all of the Leica equipment information about each photograph on
the last page. We also publish the San Francisco Scenic books (like the
Carmel books) and they're available at Books Inc. in Carmel. These books
might give you some ideas for places to see and photograph. We are
currently working on similar books of Napa Valley. This time of year, you
could get a grape harvest, grape close ups, cool old winery buildings. The
Cuvaison winery just outside of Calastoga is partly owned by one of Leica's
principals. It's a great little winery. Great picnic place as well.

Gotta go to bed,

Jim