Subject: [Leica] Re: Ted Grant arrived in Malaysia
From: MC Lau <mclau@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:09:00 +0900

Just a note to inform the group that Ted has arrived in Malaysia.

I met up with Ted yesterday afternoon (sunday 16th August, +8:00 GMT),
and he was obviously tired after the 30-hour long haul from Victoria.
But he was in his elements when I took him to a quick tour around town.
Armed with a R8, and a M6 with a Noctilux, he was snapping away when we
were in some run-down old alleys, and a wet market right in the center
of Kuala Lumpur.

There was this open-air barbar "shop", well it was actually 2 chairs set
up in the alley with  mirrors hung on the wall, where some of the
hard-core poor go for their hair cut. We decided to wait for a customer
to walk in.  (Not that I mind to be the customer, but I just have mine
done just 2 days ago in a comfortable air-conditioned Unisex saloon
:-))).  we were in luck!  In less then a minute, a customer stepped in
and Ted started shooting.  I am sure both the barbar and the customer
were aware of Ted and his camera, but both were not alarmed and did not
seem to be bothered.  I guess Ted's image as a senior tourist with a (or
2) harmless camera, together with a poor tourist guide working for a
living on a Sunday afternoon did well to alleviate fears and anxieties
among the locals.

I am sure Ted will have some photo to talks about when he is back to
Canada. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

MC Lau
Kuala Lumpur