Subject: Re: [Leica] Strobe with IIIF
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:43:42 -0400 (EDT)

> If your IIIf is a red dial, the synch speed is 1/50. When you set the
> shutter at 1/50, set your dial at 20. This is the correct setting. You can
> check that it is synching properly an modify the dial setting if needed. (I
> have one IIIf that is dead on and a IIf that is not.)

I've heard the term "red dial" tossed around alot with respect to the
IIIf, but I've never heard an explanation of what it is.  I assume this
is either the shutter speed dial or the ring just under it.  Having
never used a flash with my IIIf, I was never concerned with the ring,
but now (especially after Ken's post) I'm curious.  I couldn't find an
explanation in my Leica "bible".

Does the ring simply adjust the time at which the flash is fired?

And what's the significance of "red dial" versus "black dial"?