Subject: Re: [Leica] Pocket camera replacement
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:22:08 +0200

On 17-08-1998 07:39 Nathan Wajsman wrote:

>Looking at these specs, it appears that the GR1 is the superior camera,
>as it seems to beat the Minilux in all aspects except the manual
>focusing options and the "intangibles" category. I wonder if anyone has
>experience with both cameras and can comment on the differences?
>Incidentally, I am NOT considering the Minilux Zoom; although the zoom
>is tempting, the lack of an exposure-priority exposure mode and the lack
>of any exposure information in the viewfinder or on the LCD rules it out
>for me.

Nathan:

I concur with you on the Leica Minilux Zoom, its drawbacks are simply too
much for me. I own a Nikon 35 Ti for 4 years now and have always been
very satisfied with its tack-sharp results. The only drawback is the odd
viewfinder and the slightly discomforting procedures for manual
adjustments. But it has multizone metering and Nikon's 3D flash metering
(as on the F90x). And it looks great with that retro-look display on top.
I also have a Leica Minilux since about a month, and have only used it
sparsely so far. First one went back to the dealer as it had dust in the
viewfinder, which is unacceptable for a new camera. The replacement is
fine. The results with the Minilux are very good (look at my web page
under "Belgian delegation to NATO visits Florennes AFB " for some
impressions, but it's quasi impossible to really judge quality on the
web).
Consider that the Minilux has one big advantage over all the other
high-end compacts: its 2.4 lens which will give you a small extra margin
in dark weather, especially if you are using 100 ASA film. The viewfinder
is clearer than the one of the Nikon, but there is no indication of
shutter speed (except on the top LCD) as with the 35 Ti.
I do not dare to compare the results of both cameras as I have not used
the Minilux enough to speak with any authority on the matter.
Hope this helps.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch