Subject: Re: [Leica] Pocket camera replacement
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:49:08 -0500

Nathan,

When I went looking for a new P&S for my wife,  the most important
feature I had in mind was the quality of the lens.  There appeared to be
three brands that had optical quality better than the competition
(Nikon, Contax and Leica).  I didn't like the ergonomics of the Nikon
and the feedback that I received from a lot of people was that the
Minilux had the better lens compared to the Contax.

The Contax seemed to have the better ergonomics but in the end, the low
magnification viewfinder of the Minilux and the method of selecting
different options hasn't been a problem.  The focus lock on the Minilux
occurs BEFORE you actually make the exposure which I find to be a big
advantage over the T2.

We've just returned from a long trip to the Maritimes and the Minilux
performed beautifully.  Of course this is with Kodacolor 100/200 prints
so I can't state absolutely what the camera would do with Kodachrome or
Velvia.

Admittedly the 35ti, T2 and Minilux are very expensive for a P&S camera
so that has to be factored into your decision.  Frankly, I'm not sure
that spending so much money on a camera that'll be used for (automated)
prints is worth it.  On the other had, if the Minilux does as well as I
think it will with slide film, I may look at a Minilux Zoom for
myself:-)

Best regards,
Bud