Subject: [Leica] Using the original Leicaflex
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:59:17 -0400

On  Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Jim Cheatham wrote:

>I am about to purchase a Leicaflex outfit (circa 1965).  How difficult
>is it to use?  I understand (from the Matanle "Collecting & Using
>Classic SLR's") that the focusing is difficult.  How well does the light=

>meter work on this non-TTL version?

>I usually take landscapes, almost never "moving" objects.  I do wear
>glasses but don't when I'm "shooting".  I seem to focus the M-3 fine.
>Should I wait for an SL version?  I like the manual focusing, etc. but
>don't want to make a mistake.

>Any words of advice would be appreciated - FAST.  Thanks - Jim Cheatham

Jim,

For non-moving subjects I found the Leicaflex to be adequate.  The centra=
part of the viewscreen is a very fine microprism area which is quite good=

as a focussing aid.  I'm accustomed to using the entire viewscreen so bei=
ng
limited to the central area was a bit bothersome to me.  With time and
practice I was eventually able to focus on birds with the 400 f/6.8 Telyt=

but I wouldn't depend on being able to do this.

The meter reads a field equivalent to a 90mm lens.  Except for macro work=
,
I never had any problems using the Leicaflex meter.

The Leicaflex has a real mirror lock-up, which the SL and many R-bodies
lack.  If you're going to use slow shutter speeds this may be an advantag=
e.

SL
is a far more useful camera but if landscapes are what you're after the
Leicaflex should work well.

- -Doug