Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft Release (releasing!)
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:44:22 -0700

From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>

>I love my Abrahamsson soft releases. There is only one problem.

A lot>of blank frames. Anybody have similar experiences and enlightened
>solutions?

Carl,

As Betty Crocker once said,

    "you can't have your cake and eat it too!" ... er .......... maybe
someone else said it.....

Anyway, what makes the soft release such a simple but delightful tool is the
very thing that is causing your problem.

About the only time I do not have an M-6 around my neck is when I am in the
shower. And, that is the key. Do not put it in a bag, do not put it around
your shoulder, but  wear it around your neck, in front, for all to see and
ignore. It is also, I must add, much harder for someone coming by to rip it
off your shoulder and be gone before you are even aware of its going
somewhere.

There are a few times in which I do put the camera in a bag and for those
occasions I remove the soft release and put it somewhere - hopefully - that
I will remember. Or, I try and make sure that I do not advance to the next
frame before I put it away. Habits are hard to break and for the last 40
years I have been advancing the frame as soon as I can, regardless of
whether or not I see another shot coming my way.

Keep a spare release in your bag ( you will lose at least one), right next
to your 2nd M body and enjoy.

I must also add, in case you were not already aware of it, that the
combination of Tom's soft release & his winder is a combination that is hard
to ignore or put down. Elegant is the first word that comes to mind.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA