Subject: Re: [Leica] Touchy Subjects List for Web Site
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:46:38 +0100

Michael Bell wrote:
<<<<<For the Leica Answers web site I am putting together
(http://teachnet.edb.utexas.edu/~leica), I want to include a list of
"touchy subjects" or subjects that have been done to death.  Hopefully this
will serve as a warning to newbies to tread lightly in these areas.  I'll
try to include some sort of description about each issue.>>>>>>>>

Hi Mike,

Gee you're going to alot of trouble to inform new comers what not to
discuss nor ask questions about. However, new folks come to the LUG for
answers, not to be told what to ask or what topics they can discuss.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your intentions. A couple of years ago I wanted
an answer regarding winders and no one gave me a hard time, they just
answered the question. Later I found out the subject had been discussed
quite in depth a few weeks prior to my posting; but how was I to know?  And
if I  were a neophyte requiring an answer, why wouldn't I ask the question?

I think the older members (not necessarily age older!) :) who have
discussed nearly everything there is to discuss about Leica have no right
to get antsy because the new kid on the block asks a question the old guys
have heard a hundred fold. And that includes me, hell most of the "old
lads" have the experience and wisdom of the camera, so why would we object
if the subject has been done many times?  That's what experience is about,
passing it onto others even though we're asked a hundred times!

This LUG is supposed to be a place of information and answers about Leica.
If subjects are red tagged for non-discussion, what's the point of
belonging?

The new kids on the block with the same gear we own should have the same
opportunity for an answer without restriction.

I find it strange you would list "M vs. R" as a no-no subject when they are
both Leica. Imagine the loss of technical and photographic potential on
using a Leica that would be lost if we restricted one or the other of the
two cameras.

<<Oddmund  (He's not been around for a while though)>>>>

I find this a shameful topic to restrict, as he has/had just as much right
to belong as any one of us. Yes, he had a very strange outlook on life, he
surely did get some wild conversations going.  By the way, anyone know
where he is these days?

<<<<Collectors vs. Users>>>>>

Well, this isn't as bad a subject as some folks think it is and some
comments between folks is "tongue in cheek" as much as being dead serious.
Sure we have had a few bites at each other, but to restrict the above?
....forget it! How the hell are we going to learn what are the good cameras
to collect or use if we can't or shouldn't discuss them?

I'm sorry I was going to send this private, but it is a high profile Leica
topic as far as I'm concerened!  And if it's necessary to restrict some
Leica conversation to a hidden back room, then I'm outta here as that
restriction is a form of dictatorship and censorship! And I believe in
neither!

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant