Subject: [Leica] Re: M4?
From: pchefurka@plaintree.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 98 08:49:30 -0500

     I picked up an M4 in Ex+ condition (a couple of scuffs on the top
     plate) from a camera store in Ottawa recently, for $1250 CDN, or about
     $850 US.  It needed a CLA, which cost another $250 CDN ($150 US).  So
     for $1000 US I have a very nice user.

     They aren't that rare, especially if you also consider the later
     incarnations - the M4-2 and the M4P.  Private sales are likely to be a
     better deal than store purchases, though stores may give you a better
     warranty.  Alt Cameras in Toronto, for instance, offers a 1-year
     warranty on all used equipment, which saved me some money recently
     when the diaphragm in a 50 came uncoupled from the aperture ring.

     I like shooting with the M4 precisely because it doesn't have a meter
     in it, and that forces me to think more about the light.  When I have
     to figure out how much light there is, I seem to pay more attention to
     its quality as well.

     Paul Chefurka