Subject: [Leica] "Leica Hugger" was Tree Lugger.;)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:32:19 +0100

Greg Achenbach wrote:

<<<<<As total stranger and with no more an introduction than being a member
of the LUG, Gary invited me to his home where we spent an enjoyable evening
chatting about photography and Leica gear (on topic). My sincere thanks to
Gary. This all strengthens my opinion that this discussion group seems to
be unique in it's character and is composed of a strong cast of interesting
people with an astounding depth of knowledge and talent.>>>>>>

Gee whiz folks......this is why the LUG isn't as bad as some folks make it
sound. A new Leica site without the word camraderie of the LUG would not
likely get you invited into my home nor others as a stranger.

My wife, who without question is an astute "people awareness person" almost
had a fit when I first invited someone, a total "real life stranger" but
friend on the screen to our home. I've heard others have the same
experience with their wives or husbands. Now she appreciates who some of
you are and have become friends with what was a total "real life stranger."

However, what happens on the LUG due to it's generally warm and friendly
exchange :), is a learning of who the faceless person is due to the word
and interest conversation. Although we don't see the human putting the
words up, we learn of their likes, dislikes and passion for Leica
photography.

And that..."This is a person I'd like to shake their hand and have a beer with."

As I understand it, a "moderator" controls the topic and conversation, well
I guess that's OK if we were all sitting in the same room, however we're
not! And I for one don't want someone to censor what is said simply because
they have the "power position" and in many cases no wisdom of experience!
Not always, but quite often the "moderator's personality" overrides the
"feel of the moment" and many fine stories and learning experiences
wouldn't be passed on for others to learn nor enjoy.

As in the case of Greg and Gary and the invite!  Good on both of you.:)

Man I think I'm over working this LUG HUG thing! :) Besides I gotta get
ready for that damn long flight to the other side of the world. But the
LUGNUT family members I'm meeting over there make the many hours in the sky
worth while.:)

ted