Subject: Re: [Leica] On Photographic Seeing
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:13:15 -0600

Try a new perspective: Go in close, go down low.

Get out of your car and walk.

If you live in someplace of no great scenic wonders, such as a modern
subdivision, look for an image which can express the numbing sameness of =
the
houses, the endless cul-de-sacs and rows of garages.

If you live in an area of famous scenic beauty, play with the viewer's
expectations by avoiding the famous landmarks, and forget the notion that
you must provide some sort of overview which shows a place "as it is"--th=
ose
sorts of shots appear as postcards all the time, and most are insipid.

If you own a full-frame fisheye lens (if so, lucky you!) try taking photo=
which cannot be distinguished as fisheye lens photos.

Try mood pictures (what is happiness, what is gloom, etc) without actuall=
having people in the image.

Read Calvin & Hobbes and the various short stories of Ray Bradbury, or, i=
you require something more strictly photographic, Freeman Patterson.

Try reducing an image to almost pure pattern, form, color or texture,
without any attempt at making it recognizable.

Don't save the Leica for special photo outings!!!

Jeff