Subject: [Leica] Re: Street / candid photography
From: "Ron K. Miller" <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 15:09:32 -0700

Thanks Eric for insights on candid protocol!

As far as I knew the restaurant didnt object to my obvious snapping a
few pics of the interior or waiter.  I guess I should have asked just to
be sure. No visible notices declaring a probition on photography! In
fact my friends and I were admiring the B&W photos of the owner's family
hung throughout the restaurant and had asked a waiter about them.

Before leaving the restaurant, a friend walked up to the celeb and said
"where's the money Ed!". Judging from a non-response, Ed was not
pleased! The waitress said she got the the same reaction to her teasing
Ed. To think that I was guilty of invading that celebrity's privacy with
an M6!!.

Cheers ;-) ;-)

>At 11:07 PM 8/7/98 -0700, you wrote:

>>I've been recently chastised by relatives for taking an opportunistic
snap of a minor media celebrity (mirror reflection in dark restaurant)
with my M6 35mm. Apparently I needed his/her permission for taking a
snap.  While I do this discretely (as quietly as an M6 can whisper) and

>Did they own the place? If not, then you having nothing to worry about
unless you start selling the picture as posters, or for ads or something
like that. You don't need anyone's permission to take their photograph
unless you are going to make a commercial profit off of it. Editorial,
no release needed.

> Of course, did the establishment had a prohibition on photography? On
private property, the owner sets the photo rules. Not the celebrity who
is visiting.
>- --

>Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO