Subject: [Leica] RE: Stereotypes...... Ha!.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 9:30:29 -0500

>Just for fun... It is interesting how stereotypes evolve, and how seldom
they
reflect the truth.

>Leica owners are the type of people who:

> -- buy incredibly expensive, glamorous, powerful SUVs but never take
them
any farther off road than the mall parking lot.

82 Trooper, just over a 180,000 Kilometers,  routinely goes places where
the passengers keep asking, "are you sure this is a road?", "why aren't
their any tire tracks????" and  "I don't know Duane, I think we better
turn around".

> -- like to brag about drinking chianti, but inwardly groan at the
thought of
taking another sip of the caustic swill.

Diet Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Coke.....

> -- were the first ones to rush out and join smoking clubs when the
cigar
craze began.

Smoke makes my eyes burn......

> -- subscribe to Scientific American, but can't even decipher the table
of
contents.  It makes a great coffee table item in their house.

Don't subscribe to Scientific American.   But considered being an
engineer, physicist or Chemist.  I understand 99% of medical and
technical journals.   (I spend a lot of time with doctors, surgeons,
clinical researchers and engineers  : ) .......)

> -- have a son named Cody and a daughter named Brianna.  Cody has a
swimming
coach, and Brianna takes interpretive tap lessons.

2 1/2 year daughter named Rachel (after her great-grandmother) speaks
Spanish and English equally.

> -- like to drop their Tai Chi lessons into conversations:  "You know,
this
morning I was on my way to the Starbucks kiosk right after my Tai Chi,
and..."

No Tai Chi for me, nor Starbucks,  Coffee......  yech.   Tennis,
yes.......  Golf, as much as possible whenever in the US.

> -- enjoy the snobbery of having the smallest lens section in the camera
store.

The problem is half the store clerks don't know what Leica is...... It
might be better to state:   Enjoy the snobbery of owning more Leica
equipment the local camera store has for sale.

That would be why I buy through mail order from Don, Sam and Jim.

> -- wear pleated pants.

Blue jeans.

> -- ran out and got the same type of dog Alec Baldwin had in that movie,
but
then told everyone they had theirs first.

Who wrote this..... Only a woman would buy a dog like Alec Baldwin's
(no offense Tina)

No dog....

> -- join Classic Literature book clubs because they like to think the
postman
will be impressed when he delivers their packages.

You want to impress a postman????  Give him a semi-automatic weopon for
delivering mail in rain, sleet and snow.

Real classical book lovers buy first editions at a rare books store....
 I prefer history books,  especially Spanish ones that haven't been
translated into English.

> -- still think it's hip to order quiche in a restaurant.

Real men don't eat Quiche.

> -- like the security of never having to consider printing their own
pictures
by themselves.  Ever.

I don't like anyone printing my negatives.....

Speaking of stereo types>

Yamaha Receiver, best sound IMHO for under $600.  All my money goes into
recordings,  film, paper, cameras or lenses.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html