Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Owners and Stereotypes
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 19:24:48 EDT

Hi All,

Just for fun... It is interesting how stereotypes evolve, and how seldom they
reflect the truth. In a message dated 98-08-06 13:46:07 EDT, F Baker quotes
someone named Ruth:

>Leica owners are the type of people who:

> -- buy incredibly expensive, glamorous, powerful SUVs but never take them
any farther off road than the mall parking lot.

Honda Civic.

> -- like to brag about drinking chianti, but inwardly groan at the thought of
taking another sip of the caustic swill.

Riesling, Viognier. And ohmygawd, the occassional single malt.

> -- were the first ones to rush out and join smoking clubs when the cigar
craze began.

Smoking cigars since 1972, about one a month.

> -- subscribe to Scientific American, but can't even decipher the table of
contents.  It makes a great coffee table item in their house.

Work in a top Government weather lab.

> -- have a son named Cody and a daughter named Brianna.  Cody has a swimming
coach, and Brianna takes interpretive tap lessons.

No kids other than a 120 lb St. Bernard/Pyrenees mix, 9 years old. Named
Digger.

> -- like to drop their Tai Chi lessons into conversations:  "You know, this
morning I was on my way to the Starbucks kiosk right after my Tai Chi, and..."

Kung Fu, 1972-1974, more since.

> -- enjoy the snobbery of having the smallest lens section in the camera
store.

Werner's in Denver has more Leica than Canon, about the same as N****.

> -- wear pleated pants.

Blue jeans.

> -- ran out and got the same type of dog Alec Baldwin had in that movie, but
then told everyone they had theirs first.

He has a St. Bernard/Pyrenees named Digger? Cool!

> -- join Classic Literature book clubs because they like to think the postman
will be impressed when he delivers their packages.

Did belong to the Science Fiction book club for a while. Use a PO Box.

> -- still think it's hip to order quiche in a restaurant.

Indian food, especially Chicken Tikka Saag.

> -- like the security of never having to consider printing their own pictures
by themselves.  Ever.

Darkroom since 1971.

Hum, maybe that's why my Leicas refuse to operate  :-)

Speaking of stereo types, Mac 225 and a 12AX7 custom preamp.

Will von Dauster